Monday, March 29, 2010

Bravery in Class

So the other day, I was in a class, and one of my teachers had been complaining about how bad and sick they were feeling. It was so bad that they decided they couldn't take it anymore and they needed to call a substitute. So as he was going around checking everyone's homework, I decided to keep on reading a verse from my Bible.
When he finally arrived at my desk and was checking my work, he casually asked what I was reading and I (just as casually) replied that I was reading the Bible. In a joking manner he said "Well hey, maybe you can pray that I'd feel better" to which I replied "Of course! Would you like to? 'Cause I will!" ( I was very excited). Taken aback, he slowly agreed. I don't think he thought I'd take him seriously...apparently he doesn't know me very well.
    We continued in class until it was cut for our lunch break. He began to gather his things as he would head out instead of returning to class. Being the last one out (on purpose) I went up to his desk and stood there with my backpack and just began to pray for him (very awkwardly, mind you) and when I finished, he looked up and said "Wow. Um, thanks. I've never had someone pray for me like that. Much less a student *awkward laugh*". I told him that it wasn't a big deal and that I would reassure him that I would continue to pray for his healing and with that, I turned on my heel and walked out the door to lunch.
     The truth is that it was a big deal. I had prayed with my teacher, not a fellow classmate, not a friend, not some random person, but my teacher. And not only that, but I had prayed with him in the setting of a public school classroom. So tell me if that's not a big deal. If you do, I won't believe you. I'm so thankful that the Holy Spirit gave me not only the oppurtunity, the eyes to see the opportunity, but also the courage to pray with my teacher. It was beyond me. I know for a fact that I would've cowardly backed out, had He not come in and taken control of the situation. But that's what it's like when we trust Him fully. Moments like that aren't rare and occasional, but they become a part of our lives. It's not so much that they appear more, it's that the Spirit reveals them more. Because the truth is, that they are always there, we, well at least I am, too scared to obey.
Anyways, it was a great and really crazy cool experience. I'm so happy about it, you don't even know. Even if something doesn't happen with my teacher right away, SOMETHING EVENTUALLY will. Maybe in a few weeks, maybe in a few years, nevertheless, the Lord will do something in him. I'm just so glad He let me be a small part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment